Tuesday, November 27, 2007

I want to talk about toast.

Not the "Here's to Phil" kind of toast. But toasted bread. I've noticed of late that it's hard to get good toast anymore. I think people just don't care or they don't know. Or they've forgotten.

Even Sylvie, my wife of almost 55 years doesn't do it right. She toasts well, the bagel nice and dark, but then she funfers around for ten minutes before buttering or schmearing. So what I get is a toasted bagel, not toast. Here's my point. TOAST SHOULD BE HOT. Hot is toast. Toast that's not hot is bread that's toasted. Also this is the way at coffee shops, by the time you get the toast you asked for what you have is toasted. Not toast.

Now, if you go into "Hole-y Moley," our local bagel shop and ask for a toasted bagel, you get something worse. A bagel that's been through a toaster and is warmed or slightly singed by the toaster. But singeing is not toasting.

To sum up--toast is toast when it is served medium to dark brown (pumpernickel notwithstanding) and hot.

3 comments:

Laura said...

Wait one minute, my dearest hubby--
after all of these years, I have indeed learned to toast and properly butter your bread. I never even start unless I have the butter ready and waiting for that toast. And I know just how you like it- a little more on the dark side, not on the light side.
Yes, my dear, I do futz around, but I make a mean toast.

george tannenbaum said...

disagree. all is set, then the phone rings, or the door man buzzes the buzzer and I have toasted. Not bona fide toast.

Laura said...

Well talk about toasts, you should be talking about the best toast ever made and that was by our sweet Hannah at your birthday gala. There we were, all of your 30 plus friends and family who love you, the rabbi of all rabbis, the funniest person alive, the man with the biggest heart anywhere, we spend the night saluting you, telling jokes, telling how much we all adore you, -- and our beautiful, loving Hannah stands up with her "Groucho" mask and proudly says, "Dad, I have a special toast for you." Then she stands there, holds up a nice linen napkin, and uncovers a piece of toast.

Now I ask you, did you ever see such a hug from her dad? What nachas she brought to her doting dad. Now that was a toast. (And one that I did make pretty well)